White bait/kapenta is one of Zambian’s delicious foodies. This was one of the first dishes I learnt to cook when I was younger. As I got older I perfected it in my own way. Kapenta is a good source of protein just like fish as it falls in the same family. Traditionally in Zambia kapenta is one of the top yummy dishes. It can be cooked in so many ways and can be used a stater, snack or as a mine meal saved with polenta, rice, nuts etc. It is also a great snack for kids.
Let’s get into it.
Time to prepare about 30mins – 45mins
White Bait/kapenta you can get this from many fish stores like Kailis bros & most Asian food stores it is always in the frozen foods section.
- Egg (optional)
- Cooking oil
- Clean your fish first.
- After cleaning your fish wash and dry it completely.
- Added a little salt on them.
- Heat your oil up in a pan. Once this is nice and hot start adding your fish.
- Use the flour to coat & toss the white bait this way it stops it from sticking together and onto the pan. At times you can use a bit of egg too but this is optional
- Make sure it browns before turning.
- Repeat with the rest.
Once you done cooking then you can now prepare your source. Your source will be a personal choice. Below is my source.
Drop of oil
- Peppers Green/ Red
- Brown sugar
- Fish source
- Chop up all your ingredients
- Put oil in a pan or pot
- Add your onions first, then tomatoes peppers, chills sugar, salt parsley and finally you fish sauce. And you done and ready to save. 🙂
Drop me a line once you have tried it! Or if you have a question 😍
#fish #protein #healthfood #goodfood #zambian
Photo by Ryan Tran #byryantran